We’ve been having some problems with Mac PyMol when dealing with PDB files with
50+ models output from ensemble refinement.   The pdb files are large (up to
200 MB) and can contain up to 100 models.   My iMac (OS 10.10.5, 4 GHz Intel
Core i7, 32 GB ram, AMD Radeon R9 M290X 2048 MB) works fine with these large
files.

However, some of our older Macs (e.g., Mac Pro with 24 GB ram and a quite
reasonable graphics board) fail to load in all the models, maxing out at 51
models/frames regardless of the number of models/frames in the PDB.  We have
seen this on 3 different Macs.  Frame 52 also shows a partial load:  subunit A
looks fine, but subunitB has only a portion of the polypeptide loaded.  This
problems occurs even with PyMol 1.8.6.0 on these Macs.  As we need to run
scripts to calculate rms fluctuations and to make some figures, we need to look
at all the models.  Any ideas?  Has anyone seen this before?

We are currently testing to see whether this occurs on linux machines.

Thanks,

Michael

R. Michael Garavito, Ph.D.
Professor of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
603 Wilson Rd., Rm. 513
Michigan State University
East Lansing, MI 48824-1319
Office:  (517) 355-9724     Lab:  (517) 353-9125
FAX:  (517) 353-9334        Email:  rmgarav...@gmail.com