Disclaimer:  I am not a chemist, nor a PyMol user.  I am an IT guy trying to
assist students and educators with installing PyMol.

I am pretty sure I can figure out how to get PyMol working from the compiled
source that Christoph Gohlke offers for download, but I thought I should try to
compile it myself.

Does anyone know why there is a discrepancy between the version of the
downloadable source tarball found here (v1.8.6.0) and the version Christoph
offers (v1.9.0.0)?

Assuming that I trust Christoph's offering, what changed between 1.8.6.0 and
1.9.0.0?

Also, does anyone know if 1.9.0.0 is the end for open source PyMol?  Has
Schrodinger completed a conversion to a fully commercial (and likely
profitable) version with v2.0?

Thanks.