Hi Yang,

Yes it's possible to have independent instances. The API has actually been
around for a long time. For some reason it was never widely adopted and thus is
not very thoroughly tested. Please report any bugs you encounter.

Example:

import pymol2
p = pymol2.PyMOL()
p.start()
p.cmd.fragment('ala')
p.cmd.show_as('sticks')
p.cmd.zoom()
p.cmd.png('/tmp/ala.png', 1000, 800, dpi=150, ray=1)
p.stop()

--
Thomas Holder
PyMOL Principal Developer