Hi Steve and Shintaro,

Shintaro is right, PyMOL's ray tracing is CPU only. It runs parallel
on multiple CPU cores.

Our graphics development over the last years was focused on getting
the real-time OpenGL rendering (which uses the GPU heavily) as close
to the ray traced images as possible. Lighting, antialiasing, and
pixel-perfect sticks and spheres should be identical with "draw" and
"ray". There are still some gaps, the ray tracer has shadows, better
multi-layer transparency, and outline modes
(https://pymolwiki.org/index.php/Ray#Modes ) that we don't have in
real-time yet.

For movies, I would certainly consider "draw" rendering a good option,
unless you need shadows or better transparency.

# write out PNG images
mpng prefixdraw, mode=1, width=1280, height=720
mpng prefixray, mode=2, width=1280, height=720

# write out MPEG 4 (requires ffmpeg)
movie.produce draw.mp4, mode=draw, width=1280, height=720
movie.produce ray.mp4, mode=ray, width=1280, height=720