Hi Ali,

I would typically use a temporary object for that, which is loaded into the
work space but never rendered:

def intra_rms_tempobj(filename):
    from pymol import cmd
    tmpname = cmd.get_unused_name('_tmpobj')
    cmd.load(filename, tmpname, zoom=0)
    try:
        return cmd.intra_rms(tmpname)
    finally:
        cmd.delete(tmpname)

It's also possible to create a new instance of the PyMOL backend, this is
probably closer to what you were looking for:

def intra_rms_tempinstance(filename):
    import pymol2
    with pymol2.PyMOL() as p:
        p.cmd.load(filename)
        return p.cmd.intra_rms('*')

See also:
https://pymolwiki.org/index.php/Launching_From_a_Script#Independent_PyMOL_Instances_.28Context_Manager.29

> On May 3, 2019, at 2:24 AM, Ali Kusay <akus8...@uni.sydney.edu.au> wrote:
>
> I have noticed that PyMOL can be used to perform fast calculations by using
> it in command line or through something like Jupyter notebook since it
> doesn’t have to worry about the graphical geometries. I am curious if this
> can be performed within the PyMOL program itself. For example, loading the
> python interpreter in PyMOL and using it load a multistate object and
> calculate RMSD through intra_fit without actually loading the object in the
> work space. I would appreciate your help, this would be immensely time saving
> for larger proteins while providing the convince of not having to leave the
> program.
>
> Kin regards,
>
> Ali Kusay
> PhD student