Hi Ryan and Blaine,

In addition to the classification by residue identifiers, PyMOL looks for
nucleic acid backbone atoms by name.

See:
https://github.com/schrodinger/pymol-open-source/blob/master/layer3/Selector.cpp#L1393
----------------------
        } else if (found_o3star && found_c3star && found_c4star && found_c5star
               && found_o5star && (found_o3_bond || found_p_bond)) {
          mask = cAtomFlag_polymer | cAtomFlag_nucleic;
----------------------

Hope that helps.

> On May 18, 2019, at 12:26 AM, Mooers, Blaine H.M. (HSC)
> <blaine-moo...@ouhsc.edu> wrote:
>
> Hi Ryan,
>
> I think that the manual page for polymer will answer your question clearly
>
> https://pymol.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=selection:polymer
>
> Best regards,
>
> Blaine
>
> Blaine Mooers, Ph.D.
> Associate Professor
> Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
> College of Medicine
> University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center
> S.L. Young Biomedical Research Center (BRC) Rm. 466
> 975 NE 10th Street, BRC 466
> Oklahoma City, OK 73104-5419

Thomas Holder
PyMOL Principal Developer