Thank you very much Jared!
Could you tell me if you have  some cool present for the surface
representations ?

For example I am using the following script to visualize the surface
of the protein around the ligand binding site:
cmd.show('surface', 'polymer within 15 of complex* and not polymer')
cmd.set('surface_color','marine','polymer')
cmd.set('transparency', '0.4')
cmd.hide('cartoon', 'all')
cmd.png('image.png',width=${image},height=${image},dpi=50,ray=1)

It produces a good looking image but the surface looks monotone. How
could I improve its representation using some preset??
Cheers,
Enrico