Marmaduke,

I would also be interested in making PyOpenCL self contained enough that it can
be installed without any further dependencies, in particular no OpenCL
implementation. Ideally, 'pip install PyOpenCL' would just succeed no matter
what. Pocl seems like a reasonable vehicle for that. The problem is that it has
a nontrivial build system... And then there's LLVM... It feels like a
substantial amount of engineering effort.

Another avenue I explored for a bit was a conda package. I even got to the
point of making that work. I can dig those package recipes up if you're
interested. I believe I also put them up on github. For those I did the thing
that you asked about, which is link PyOpenCL directly to pocl.

Hope that helps, and let me know if you'd like to try and work together to
engineer something.

Andreas