Hi Yury,

On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 5:01 AM, Yury Selivanov <yselivanov...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, if everybody agrees on the 3rd option, then can we have at least the
> process of porting outlined and reviewed by core devs?  No need for a
> super-detailed PEP, though.  A simple guideline would help a lot.

Yes, I think it's the only workable solution.  I suppose that what
will happen is that some sub-group of people starts the python3 branch
and keeps working on making a Python 3 interpreter (written in Python
2.x, for x in (6, 7)).  With regular merges from the trunk it should
be doable.  It is exactly how the 2.7 branch was done, at a time where
we supported only 2.5.

This would remain as a branch for the foreseeable future though,
because we still need a Python 2 interpreter, if only to run our own
translation toolchain on (and not suffer the 2.5x slow-down of running
it on CPython 2.x).  But at some later point we can think about
switching the whole code base of the translation toolchain to Python
3, which I also regard as quite some work --- but it will likely have
to be done some day.  Once this is done we can drop Python 2 entirely
and use the Python 3 branch as trunk.

A bientôt,

Armin.