@Armin
> This would remain as a branch for the foreseeable future though,
> because we still need a Python 2 interpreter, if only to run our own
> translation toolchain on (and not suffer the 2.5x slow-down of running
> it on CPython 2.x).
I don't quite follow. Switching to Python 3 (I am not saying that
would be a good idea, just clarifying) and release as, let's say, PyPy
2.0, doesn't mean that the impending 1.6 release would go away. Python
3 users would use PyPy 2.0+, while users of Python 2.7 would use PyPy
1.6. You would still be able to compile PyPy and its Python 2.7
toolchain with PyPy 1.6, thus getting the 2.5x speed up.

Python 2.7 users would only miss on newer, faster PyPy releases, which
is not the black and white picture some where describing. The only
condition needed for this scenario to come about are continued
availability of PyPy 1.6 packages and important bug fixes.

That said, 1.6 is probably not the right point for Python 2.x
end-of-line, but maybe after 1.7 things will look differently...

Cheers,
Miquel