so it turned out the log(x) display was somehow corrupted by my
xRange(xMin,xMax) values.

My x values range from 0 to 1e7. My actual data ranges from 1e-3 to 1e7. I
previously set xRange(1e-9 to 1e7) to avoid log(0) @xMin.

In this setup I am no longer getting nicely logarithmically spaced vertical
lines, 1e^n whhere n<0 are not displayed. But I then modified xRange to
(-100,1e7) and now I am getting proper vertical lines.

So xRange(-100,1e7) is a solution to get proper vertical lines, but the
overall UI is no longer super nice because my values never reach x<0, and
the user can actually scroll down to -100(whatever xMin value I set)

don't know what's happening with axisItems or the related class