I just managed to compile PyTables "dev" on Windows. I first tried with the
pre-built binaries of HDF5 1.8.10 and it failed to build because of a
missing "stdint". I only realized later that the pre-built binaries are
meant for VS10.

Given we are stuck with Visual Studio 9 (2008) for python 2.7 extensions,
it might not be the only one stumbling on the issue, and it might be worth
directing users to either use 1.8.9 or build hdf5 1.8.10+ from source (I
did not try myself but VS9 seems to be still supported through cmake).

I hope this helps someone,
--
Gaëtan de Menten