On Wed, Aug 7, 2013 at 5:44 AM, Chao YUE <chaoyue...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I have a hierachical nested python dictionaries with the end of the branch
> as either pandas dataframe, or np.ndarray or list or plain scalars.
>
> let's say the different levels of keys are:
>
> 1st level: ['top1', 'top2', 'top3']
> 2nd level: ['mid1','mid2','mid3']
> 3rd level: ['bot1','bot2','bot3','bot4']
>
> I think I am looking for some data strucuture that allow easy retrieving
> of the data at different levels as dictionaries (I cannot think out
> something better yet).
>
> for example: data.ix['top1',:,'bot1'] will have keys only at the middle
> levels.
>
> I have a quick look of pytables document but not very sure, should I use
> pytables for this purpose?

Hello Chao,

If you are only ever going to use this data structure in memory, you
shouldn't use pytables.  If you are going to persist this information to
disk than pytables is a great choice!  Every dictionary will become a group
and every leaf data structure will become an Array or a Table.

Be Well
Anthony