> On Jul 18, 2018, at 1:23 PM, Alex Martelli <al...@google.com> wrote:
>
> Since 1179 (and with a few very minor exceptions in the centuries right after
> then -- none since 1612), the Catholic Church requires a super-majority of
> 2/3 to elect a new Pope. I don't see how the choice of a BDFL is so much more
> important to the Python community, than the choice of a Pope is to the
> Catholic Church; thus, requiring 90% rather than "just" 2/3 seems unwarranted.

This is a good point. Moreover, I'm sure Monty Python-wise it's only fitting
for us to base our rules on a papal conclave.

If we do, then it looks like 2/3 it is. However, historically cardinal
participation rates were really high so I'd like to keep the 90% participation
rule there.

I do find it a bit problematic that a papal conclave doesn't vote "yes/no" but
rather just places names for a predefined position using predefined rules.

> In fact, a 90% requirement gets dangerously close to a requirement for
> unanimity -- allowing any member of the Sejm to shout "Nie pozwalam!" and
> thus end the session and nullify every decision made in the session.

Oh, you know how to hit close to home! However, there's a big difference
between one vote vetoing the ruling and ten (as there's 100+ GitHub committers
now IIRC).

But yeah, if the Vatican is fine with two thirds, it sounds like we could, too.
By the way, if we're already studying Polish parliamentary rules, 2/3 agreement
is needed to make constitution changes.

- Ł