On Tue, Sep 25, 2018 at 1:30 PM Yury Selivanov <yselivanov...@gmail.com> wrote:
> What's the current plan for what version of Python we release after 3.9?

One idea I've heard is to switch to calendar versioning after 3.9.  So
we'd start with something like "2021" (year) or "2021.06" (year +
month).  sys.version_info would stay monotonic and so would the
version macro in the C-API.  The executable would still be "python3"
so it may still make sense to incorporate "3" into the version.  When
we do get to a major/breaking change we'd change the executable to
"python4" and incorporate "4" into the version.

Switching to calver doesn't necessarily mean we'd tie ourselves to a
fixed release schedule, but doing so would probably fit better with
calver. :)

Anyway, this is just something I've heard discussed which I kind of liked.

-eric