> deprecating APIs or behavior.  Right now I'm saying "Python 4.0"
> implying that 4.0 will be released right after 3.9.
>
> I've heard multiple opinions on this subject. One of them is that we
> should release 4.0 when we have a major new change, like removal of
> the GIL or introduction of a JIT compiler.  On the other hand, we have
> no estimate when we have such a change. We also don't want Python 4.0
> to be backwards incompatible with Python 3.0 (at least not at the
> scale of 2 vs 3).  So to me, it seems logical that we simply release
> Python 4.0 after Python 3.9.  After all, after 3.9 Python will be
> drastically different from 3.0 and from 2.7.  It sounds better. :)

On the other hand... the best chance we have to let the world know
that "we will never ever again break everything as we did with the 2
to 3 transition" is to just release 4.0 after 3.9 as a simple follow
up release with just the minor and usual glitches we have from minor
to minor release.

IOW, we're breaking the major/minor revision evolution, but we're
firmly signaling that a transition that could take a decade will not
happen anymore in the future, that we learned the lesson and all
evolution steps will be smooth.

See it as more a political/social decision, than a technical one.

Note 1: I remember Guido saying something like this, but to be fair I
couldn't find any mail with a statement like that in a 10' exploration
I just did.

Note 2: I know we planned 2.7.10 after 2.7.9, but that just reinforces
my point: the idea is to communicate that we'll never have again a
dead end like 2.7.

Regards,

--
.    Facundo