On 2/11/2019 12:48 PM, Victor Stinner wrote:
Hi,

tl; dr How can we decide if we should stop using mailing list or if we
should stop using discuss.python.org?

If 'mailing list' == 'all lists', neither. It should be a list-by-list decision.

If 'mailing list == 'python-committers', neither, at least at present. I think discussing and voting on a proposed committer works better on discuss -- note least because you could edit. But because you *pushed* a notice of the discuss committer vote topic on this list, there have been 15 votes in 5 hours, which I think is good. Otherwise, we would depend on people happening to drop by and notice the vote.

If 'mailing list' == 'idle-dev', neither for a different reason, unless discuss has changed. When I asked, 3-4 months ago, whether I could be an admin for an 'IDLE' category, the answer was no. 'There can only be overall admins and a very limited number of those.'

Problem: Nobody decided if a topic should always be started on
discuss.python.org or the "related" mailing list. I just started "Vote
to promote Cheryl Sabella as a core developer" thread on the
Committers category of discuss.python.org. I'm not sure that everybody
"migrated" to discuss.python.org, so sometimes I like to send an email
"hey, by the way, have a look at this thread on discuss.python.org:
(...)" to ensure that everybody will see my message. For a vote to
promote a contributor it's important that everybody is aware that a
vote is open (but everyone is free to decide to vote or to abstain).

Right, and it worked.

There is also a high risk of having a topic discussed twice on mailing
list and discuss.python.org. I will happen on controversal changes
(PEPs), trust me :-)

I am not convinced. The steering council discussion pretty much stayed on discuss. And I like the fact that when I was ready to vote, I could read 100-200 posts on 20+ topics in 2 different categores, without having to clutter my inbox with 100-200 unsorted emails or having to manually create multiple temporary boxes to sort them into.

So far, all replies to 'Vote to promote ...' were made on discuss, not here, by clicking the link you gave.