On Sat, 15 May 2021 at 16:58, Senthil Kumaran <sent...@python.org> wrote:

> > I see lots of vague complaining and no concrete argument.
>
> Really? I don't see that way. So far, I see that few others find
> settling upon chat solution will be useful for core-dev too.

I see a general interest in *having* some sort of community chat, but
no real plan on how to get a critical mass of people on a chat system.
Specifically, we tried Zulip and it failed, in the sense that
basically no-one uses it.

So let's start by working out *why* it failed. I don't see any point
in having a vote, which comes up with the conclusion that (say) people
like Discord, if we then set that up and there's no-one on there. If
we were to ask the question, why did people stop logging into Zulip as
part of their daily sign-in routine (or why did they never even start
doing that), what would the answers be? Mine would be simply "because
no-one was there". More specifically, even if people were there, there
were no conversations going on.

Yes, it's a circular argument, unless people use a system no-one will
use it. I get that. But how do we break that cycle?

Explicitly making it more of a social community (while still allowing
that we're all technical so casual technical questions still count as
social ;-)) might make a difference. As might a deliberate effort to
keep people engaged. But just choosing a new tool and hoping people
like it enough for the community to "just happen" seems destined to
fail.

Paul