On Sat, May 15, 2021 at 06:01:36PM +0100, Paul Moore wrote:

> I see a general interest in *having* some sort of community chat, but
> no real plan on how to get a critical mass of people on a chat system.

So, I see you recognize the general interest too. Next step will
figuring out what to do, and how to go about it.

> Specifically, we tried Zulip and it failed, in the sense that
> basically no-one uses it.
>
> So let's start by working out *why* it failed.

Yes. That will be separate topic.

https://python.zulipchat.com/#narrow/stream/116410-zulip/topic/Why.20didn't.20Zulip.20Catch.20on.20with.20python-dev/near/239136087

https://discuss.python.org/t/should-we-continue-using-zulip/2816

> I don't see any point
> in having a vote, which comes up with the conclusion that (say) people
> like Discord, if we then set that up and there's no-one on there. If
> we were to ask the question, why did people stop logging into Zulip as
> part of their daily sign-in routine (or why did they never even start
> doing that), what would the answers be? Mine would be simply "because
> no-one was there". More specifically, even if people were there, there
> were no conversations going on.

My response to this is.

1. It is assuming Zulip failed due to one specific reason only.
2. That sepecific reason will prevent the next solution from being
successful.

I disagree with both. There could be multiple reasons, including design
of the tool, preference of the community and then social needs.

We should experiment, and if we recognize a failure, acknowledge it, and
close it.

Paul, my understanding of your vote was:

* I will use the system that other core-devs use.

That's very reasonable stance, and if anything comes out as majority
preference, then you are adding support to it.

--
Senthil