Maybe it’s also not horrible to bet on one of the winners for once. Discord
seems poised for success as its original gamer demographic grows up with
it, while Gitter and Zulip already look like also-rans. (Though from
another vantage point things may well look different — what’s it look like
from Europe for example?)

On Sat, May 22, 2021 at 21:41 Kyle Stanley <aeros...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, May 22, 2021 at 4:54 PM Guido van Rossum <gu...@python.org> wrote:
>
>> 2. I can handle Discord just fine nowadays but *please* don't combine
>> this with the Python Discord server. That server is super active with
>> learners and teachers, and has hundreds of channels and it's just really
>> hard to ignore that activity if all you're interested in is a single
>> channel. At this point I'm sure Kyle will pop in with instructions for how
>> to permanently hide all the other channels, but I still say it'd be way
>> easier if we had our own small server so nobody would have to hide
>> anything. (And "server" is purely a virtual thing IIUC, we don't need
>> hardware or even a dedicated VM. If there's a fee I'd be happy to pay for
>> it personally, if that's what would stop us considering this option.)
>>

> I actually 100% agree with using our own smaller server instead of Python
> Discord solely for core dev purposes. I think the 2020 sprint demonstrated
> well that the traffic on Python Discord can be overwhelming for those who
> aren't there for the other channels (as much as I love PyDis). Muting every
> channel manually can be quite tedious to completely suppress notifications,
> especially when there are as many as PyDis has.
>
> As far as paid options go, there's nitro which IIRC helps to improve voice
> quality and adds some other neat features, but shouldn't be strictly needed
> for our purposes.
>
> Gitter would work fine as well, I just like that Discord provides easy
> voice/video chat in the same location and seems to be where more people are
> already at these days (reducing the number of separate open channels one
> has to keep track of).
>

> Best Regards,
>
> --
> --Kyle R. Stanley
> *Pronouns: they/them **(why is my pronoun here?*
> <http://feministing.com/2015/02/03/how-using-they-as-a-singular-pronoun-can-change-the-world/>
> )
>
> --
--Guido (mobile)