G'day,

From: "Bob Ippolito" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> On Feb 11, 2005, at 6:11 PM, Donovan Baarda wrote:
[...]
> > Given that Python is already dependant on openssl, it makes sense to
> > change
> > md5sum to use it. I have a feeling that openssl internally uses md5,
> > so this
> > way we wont link against two different md5sum implementations.
>
> It is an optional dependency that is used when present (read: not just
> win32).  The sources are not included with Python.

Are there any potential problems with making the md5sum module availability
"optional" in the same way as this?

> OpenSSL does internally have an implementation of md5 (and sha1, among
> other things).

Yeah, I know, that's why it could be used for the md5sum module :-)

What I meant was a Python application using ssl sockets and the md5sum
module will effectively have two different md5sum implementations in memory.
Using the openssl md5sum for the md5sum module will make it "leaner", as
well as faster.