On Sat, Feb 12, 2005 at 08:37:21AM -0500, A.M. Kuchling wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 12, 2005 at 01:54:27PM +1100, Donovan Baarda wrote:
> > Are there any potential problems with making the md5sum module availability
> > "optional" in the same way as this?
>
> The md5 module has been a standard module for a long time; making it
> optional in the next version of Python isn't possible.  We'd have to
> require OpenSSL to compile Python.
>
> I'm happy to replace the MD5 and/or SHA implementations with other
> code, provided other code with a suitable license can be found.

agreed.  it can not be made optional.  What I'd prefer (and will do if
i find the time) is to have the md5 and sha1 module use OpenSSLs
implementations when available.  Falling back to their built in ones
when openssl isn't present.  That way its always there but uses the
much faster optimized openssl algorithms when they exist.

-g