Kurt B. Kaiser wrote:
Do you happen to remember the precise error message?

"This installation package could not be opened."

Ah, that you get if the file is already open. Do you run some shell extension that might want to look into the MSI file, or virus scanners? I also recall a KB article that the Indexing Service sometimes prevents files from being opened.

Quadruple-click could also cause the problem, if you try to start
multiple installers.

If I wait for the download to complete and the virus check to finish, then
it's AOK.  That's why the third time was the charm.

Ok, so it's likely incomplete download.

Regards,
Martin