Michael Chermside wrote:

I've been following this conversation, and it sounds to me as if we
are stumbling about in the dark, trying to feel our way toward something
very useful and powerful. I think Jim is right, what we're feeling our
way toward is macros.

I considered saying something like that about 3 posts ago, but I was afraid of getting stoned for heresy...

  ... Eventually, there would
  develop a large number of different Python "dialects" (as some
  claim has happened in the Lisp community) each dependent on macros
  the others lack. The most important casualty would be Python's
  great *readability*.

In other words, rather than hearing what we'd like to be able to DO
with blocks, I'd like to hear what we want to PROHIBIT DOING with
blocks.

From that quote, it would seem what we want to do is prohibit anything that would make code less readable. Or prohibit anything that would permit creating a new dialect. Or something.

University of Canterbury,          | A citizen of NewZealandCorp, a       |
Christchurch, New Zealand          | wholly-owned subsidiary of USA Inc.  |