On 9/1/05, Raymond Hettinger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> string.Template is a bit too simplified.  But perhaps it can be adapted.
> We still want some way to express %r, %6.2f, etc.    Since string
> formatting has been around since Tim was in diapers, we should probably
> start by looking at the solutions used by other languages.  With Py3.0,
> we have a real opportunity to break-away from doing things the way C
> does it.

Hrm. Most other languages these days do floating point formatting the
way C does it. I'm happy to look for other ways to invoke the thing,
but I think that we shouldn't tinker with %6.2f. (In fact, the major
complaint is about the one place where I *did* tinker with it --
%(boo)s.)

Maybe the ${boo} form can be extended to allow ${boo%6.2f} ???

Unfortunately that would prevent a different extension of ${boo}: %{boo+far}.