    Martin> It *is* a bug for Python to emit warnings on "major
    Martin> platforms" (PEP 7).

OK, I'm as big a standards bigot as the next guy, you hooked me.
After some consideration, I can't write the patch, though.  I'm sorry
that all I can offer is time and trouble testing on a Mac G4 running
Panther (10.3.9), but for what it's worth, I offer it.  I'll get the
workspace ready, and when there's a patch, I'll test it.

    Martin> Also, it would be good if PEP 11 was considered before
    Martin> breaking platforms.

I don't think Apple is ever likely to consider Python PEPs when
revising its standard headers in incompatible ways.<0.5 wink>