On 2018-04-07, 00:13 GMT, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> Just in the last week, I've been reminded twice that many
> people using Python do so where they cannot just arbitarily
> pip install <whatever>, and if a library isn't in the std lib,
> they can't use it without a lot of pain:

100% agree + one of the great advantages of Python is that the
batteries actually are included and we are not forcing users to
download one of twenty competing unstable versions somewhere on
GitHub (I won't name any competing languages here).

Also, I don't see a problem with having one more mature, slower
version of library in the standard library, while the more alive
version is still being developed from time to time rebasing the
stdlib version (I thought, unittest was one such example.)

Also, considering requests, I am still dreaming about somebody
writing some requests-like API over the standard library.

Best,

Matěj
--
https://matej.ceplovi.cz/blog/, Jabber: mc...@ceplovi.cz
GPG Finger: 3C76 A027 CA45 AD70 98B5  BC1D 7920 5802 880B C9D8

My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.
    --Ashleigh Brilliant