On 05/05/18 04:55, Jeroen Demeyer wrote:
Hello all,

I have updated PEP 575 in response to some posts on this mailing list and to some discussions in person with the core Cython developers.
See https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0575/

The main differences with respect to the previous version are:

* "builtin_function" was renamed to "cfunction". Since we are changing the name anyway, "cfunction" looked like a better choice because the word "built-in" typically refers to things from the builtins module.

* defined_function now only defines an API (it must support all attributes that a Python function has) without specifying the implementation.

* The "Two-phase Implementation" proposal for better backwards compatibility has been expanded and now offers 100% backwards compatibility for the classes and for the inspect functions.

Hi,
I'm reading the PEP thoroughly, trying to "swap it into my brain" for the next few days. It does quite a lot of things, and the changes are all intertwined, which will make it hard to get reviewed and accepted. Are there parts that can be left to a subsequent PEP, to simplify the document (and implementation)? It seems to me that the current complexity is (partly) due to the fact that how functions are *called* is tied to how they are *introspected*. Perhaps starting to separate that is a better way to untangle things than arranging a class hierarchy?

Can the problem of allowing introspection ("It is currently not possible to implement a function efficiently in C (only built-in functions can do that) while still allowing introspection like inspect.signature or inspect.getsourcefile (only Python functions can do that)") be solved in a better way?

Maybe we can change `inspect` to use duck-typing instead of isinstance? Then, if built-in functions were subclassable, Cython functions could need to provide appropriate __code__/__defaults__/__kwdefaults__ attributes that inspect would pick up. Maybe we could eve add more attributes (__isgenerator__?) to separate how a function is called from how it should be introspected -- e.g. make inspect not consult co_flags.