On Wed, Oct 3, 2018 at 2:13 PM Terry Reedy <tjre...@udel.edu <mailto:tjre...@udel.edu>> wrote:

    A language syntax-change proposal would be something else.

IMO changes to the C API should be taken just as seriously -- the potential for breaking the world is just about the same (since most serious Python applications use C extensions that risk breaking).

I agree. My observation is that PEP-delegates have taken their responsibility *very* seriously, and I think that the evidence is that Petr would. If you think otherwise, please explain. On reason for a serious examination to start now is to allow adequate time.

The difference I was referring to is the philosophical basis of and technical evaluation skill needed for a decision. I feel competent to opine on syntax proposals, but not on technical details of CPyython calls. Moreover, as long as an internal change does not break anything, and at least does not hinder writing C extensions, I have little reason to care, whereas syntax changes will affect me, even if they are 'good' changes.

--
Terry Jan Reedy