Hi,

I'm a (strong) supporter of providing a "python" command which would
be the latest Python version!

As php does nowadays (after previous issues with "php4" vs "php5".) I
don't recall that perl had "perl4" vs "perl5", the command was always
"perl", no? Same for Ruby: it was still "ruby" after for Ruby 2, no?
Only Python and PHP used different program names depending on the
language version, no? And PHP now moved back to a single "php"
program.

In the container and virtualenv era, it's now easy to get your
favorite Python version for the "python" command.

On my Windows VM, "python" is Python 3.7 :-) In virtual environments,
"python" can also be Python 3 as well.

I recall that I saw commands using "python" rather than "python3" in
the *official* Python 3 documentation: see examples below (*).
Problem: On Windows, "python" is the right command. "python3" doesn't
work (doesn't exist) on Windows. Should we write the doc for Windows
or for Unix? Oooops.

There was an interesting discussion about the Python version following
Python 3.9: Python 3.10 or Python 4? And what are the issues which
would make us prefer 3.10 rather than 4.0?
https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-committers/2018-September/006152.html

One practical issue is that right now, six.PY3 is defined by "PY3 =
sys.version_info[0] == 3" and so "if six.PY3:" will be false on Python
4.

Another interesting thing to mention is the Unix Python launcher
("py") written by Brett Cannon written in Rust:
https://github.com/brettcannon/python-launcher

(*) A few examples of "python" commands in the Python official documentation

"$ python prog.py -h"
https://docs.python.org/dev/library/argparse.html

"$ python logctx.py"
https://docs.python.org/dev/howto/logging-cookbook.html