On Feb 13, 2019, at 15:07, Victor Stinner <vstin...@redhat.com> wrote:

> Le mer. 13 févr. 2019 à 21:26, Barry Warsaw <ba...@python.org> a écrit :
>> I don’t think this should be conflated with PEP 394.  IMHO, 3.10 is just
>> fine.  Python 4 should be reserved for some future mythical GIL-less
>> interpreter or other major API breaking change.  It might never happen.
>
> My point is that changing the major version from 3 to 4 *will* break
> things. We have to prepare the community to support such change.

Perhaps.  I just don’t think Python 4 is anything but distant vaporware.
There’s a cost to freaking everyone out that Python 4 is coming and will be as
disruptive as Python 3.  Calling Python 3.9+1 Python 4 feeds into that FUD for
no reason that I can tell except for an aversion to two digit minor version
numbers.

-Barry