On Mon, 17 Jun 2019 11:15:29 +0900
Inada Naoki <songofaca...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Increasing pool size is one obvious way to fix these problems.
> I think 16KiB pool size and 2MiB (huge page size of x86) arena size is
> a sweet spot for recent web servers (typically, about 32 threads, and
> 64GiB), but there is no evidence about it.

Note that the OS won't give a huge page automatically, because memory
management becomes much more inflexible then.

For example, the Linux madvise() man page has this to say about
MADV_HUGEPAGE:

              This feature is primarily aimed at  applications  that
              use large mappings of data and access large regions of
              that memory at a time  (e.g.,  virtualization  systems
              such as QEMU).  It can very easily waste memory (e.g.,
              a 2 MB mapping that only ever  accesses  1  byte  will
              result  in  2 MB  of  wired memory instead of one 4 KB
              page).  See the Linux kernel  source  file  Documenta‐
              tion/vm/transhuge.txt for more details.

I'm not sure a small objects allocator falls into the right use case
for huge pages.

Regards

Antoine.