On Fri, 24 Jan 2020 at 14:14, Miro Hrončok <mhron...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On 24. 01. 20 14:02, Eric V. Smith wrote:
> > I think the concern is that with removing so many deprecated features, we're
> > effectively telling libraries that if they want to support 3.9, they'll have
> > stop supporting 2.7. And many library authors aren't willing to do that yet.
> > Will they be willing to in another year? I can't say.
>
> The concern is not that they don't want to drop 2.7 support, but that is is a
> nontrivail task to actaually do and we cannot expect them to do it within the
> first couple weeks of 2020. While at the same time, we want them to support
> 3.9
> since the early development versisons in order to eb able to detect
> regressions
> early in the dev cycle.

But couldn't they have done that by adding the compatibility shims
Victor described. Sure, they are messy, and sure, it would be more
convenient not to have to. But the various dates have been known for
some time now. Unless you're saying that the change to a yearly
schedule for 3.9 has suddenly compressed timescales to an extent that
projects can't cope with.

So maybe there is a reason why people might legitimately have an issue
here. Having said that, I think that far more people will see this as
yet another delay before 2.7 dies, and treat it as one more reason to
do nothing. So I still have reservations.

I have already said that the 5 deprecations Victor described seem
minor enough that one release's delay is not a big deal. If that's
enough for the people hit by the shorter 3.9 cycle, then great. But it
should *not* set a precedent that we're willing to repeatedly have
this sort of discussion. It should be a one-off, and definitely not
set the scene for a series of "and can this one be added as well"
requests.

I assume it's obvious that 3.10 would be a hard deadline, as well.
There's no justification for deferring deprecations past then.

Paul

PS As a pip developer, I fully expect to be supporting Python 2.7 for
a while yet. So I'm not talking from a perspective of someone who has
happily dropped Python 2 support and doesn't understand the issues.
But I don't expect *Python* to maintain my compatibility for me, and I
don't see why others should, either. And yes, that does include these
5.