I don't have a terribly strong opinion about whether or not it is acceptable to
use dict.copy, my point was that the desired semantics can be achieved using
only dunder methods if desired, and I think at this point getting the semantics
right probably matters more than the implementation details. If we all agree on
the semantics and we're just trying to decide how to get there, then I suppose
I don't have a dog in the fight.

I will note that it doesn't seem to be true that operators never call standard
methods. Looks like date.__add__ calls date.toordinal and date.fromordinal (at
least in the pure Python implementation), and datetime calls those plus
tzinfo.utcoffset. Not sure if the rule Serhiy is citing is only intended to
apply to builtins, though.