On Sat., 28 Mar. 2020, 8:39 am Guido van Rossum, <gu...@python.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 27, 2020 at 3:29 PM Dennis Sweeney <
> sweeney.dennis...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> > If I saw that in a code review I'd flag it for non-obviousness. One
>> should
>> > use 'string != new_string' unless there is severe pressure to squeeze
>> > every nanosecond out of this particular code (and it better be inside an
>> > inner loop).
>>
>> I thought that someone had suggested that such things go in the PEP,
>

> I'm sure someone did.

I think that may have been me in a tangent thread where folks were worried
about O(N) checks on long strings.

I know at least I temporarily forgot to account for string equality checks
starting with a few O(1) checks to speed up common cases (IIRC: identity,
length, first code point, last code point), which means explicitly calling
len() is just as likely to slow things down as it is to speed them up.

Cheers,
Nick.