I completely agree with this, that UTF-8 has become the One True
Encoding(tm), and UCS-2 and UTF-16 are hardly found anywhere outside of the
Win32 API. Nearly all basic emoji can't be represented in UCS-2 wchar_t,
let alone composite emoji.

So how to make that C-compatible? Make everything a void* and it just comes
back with as many bytes as it gets?