UCS-2 means units of 16 bits so it's limited to Unicode BMP: U+0000-U+FFFF.

UCS-4 means units of 32 bits and so gives access to the whole
(current) Unicode character set.

Do you mean UTF-16 and UTF-32? UTF-16 supports the whole Unicode
character set but uses the annoying surrogate pairs for characters
outside the BMP.*

UTF-32 is UCS-4 in practice.

Victor