Unless I'm missing something, part of M.-A. Lemburg's objection is:

1.  The wchar_t type is itself an important interoperability story in C.  (I'm
not sure if this includes the ability, at compile time, to define wchar_t as
either of two widths.)

2.  The ability to work directly with wchar_t without a round-trip in/out of
python format is an important feature that CPython has provided for C
integrators.

3.  The above support can be kept even without the wchar_t* member ... so
saving the extra space on each string instance does not require dropping this
support.

-jJ