On Thu, Jul 9, 2020 at 10:13 PM Jim J. Jewett <jimjjew...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Unless I'm missing something, part of M.-A. Lemburg's objection is:
>
> 1.  The wchar_t type is itself an important interoperability story in C.
> (I'm not sure if this includes the ability, at compile time, to define
> wchar_t as either of two widths.)

Of course.  But wchar_t* is not the only way to use Unicode in C.
UTF-8 is the most common way to use Unicode in C in recent days.
(except Java, .NET, and Windows API)
So the importance of wchar_t* APIs are relative, not absolute.

In other words, why don't we have an encode API with direct UTF-8 input?
Is there any evidence wchar_t* is much more important than UTF-8?

> 2.  The ability to work directly with wchar_t without a round-trip in/out of
> python format is an important feature that CPython has provided for C
> integrators.

Note that current API *does* the round-trip:
For example:
https://github.com/python/cpython/blob/61bb24a270d15106decb1c7983bf4c2831671a75/Objects/unicodeobject.c#L5631-L5644

Users can not use the API without initializing Python VM.
Users can not avoid time and space for the round-trip.
So removing these APIs doesn't reduce any ability.

> 3.  The above support can be kept even without the wchar_t* member ... so
> saving the extra space on each string instance does not require dropping this
> support.

This is why I split PEP 623 and PEP 624.  I never said removing the
wchar_t* member is motivation for PEP 624.

Regards,
--
Inada Naoki  <songofaca...@gmail.com>