On Wed, 4 Nov 2020 at 13:14, Antoine Pitrou <solip...@pitrou.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 4 Nov 2020 13:27:50 +0100
> Thomas Wouters <tho...@python.org> wrote:
> >
> > And it may not be immediately obvious from Mark's plans, but as far as we
> > can tell, the proposal is for speeding up pure-Python code. It will do
> > little for code that is hampered, speed-wise, by CPython's object model, or
> > threading model, or the C API. We have no idea how much this will actually
> > matter to users. Making pure-Python code execution faster is always
> > welcome, but it depends on the price. It may not be a good place to spend
> > $500k or more, and it may even not be considered worth the implementation
> > complexity.
>
> FWIW, I think it would definitely be worth it.  Performance will be a
> *major* hurdle for Python in the years to come (the other hurdle being
> ease of deployment).

I agree on both of these points, and I would love to see funding be
available for both of these items.

But having said that, I agree with the SC's position here. Getting
funding is only one part of the problem, project management and
co-ordination is absolutely necessary (we're talking about a $2M
project!) and would be a significant overhead. Even if the cost of
such resource could come from the funding, there's still a significant
cashflow problem with committing that resource prior to getting
funding, as well as a risk that the funding doesn't materialise and
the investment is lost.

I hope that we can find some way to realise the benefits Mark has
identified, but I can see why the SC has to prioritise the way they
have.

Paul