Regarding the 3.8.7rc1 release, I wanted to raise some issues regarding
macOS.

Without the changes from https://github.com/python/cpython/pull/22855
backported, attempting to build a portable binary on macOS 11 (e.g. by
setting `MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.9`) results in a myriad of `warning:
'XXX' is only available on macOS 10.13 or newer
[-Wunguarded-availability-new]` warnings during the build. This warning
could be innocuous if there is run-time probing in place (the symbols in
question are weakly linked, which is good). But if I'm reading the code
correctly, run-time probing was introduced by commits like eee543722 and
isn't present in 3.8.7rc1.

I don't have a machine with older macOS sitting around to test, but I'm
fairly certain the lack of these patches means binaries built on macOS 11
will blow up at run-time when run on older macOS versions.

These same patches also taught CPython to build and run properly on Apple
ARM hardware. I suspect some people will care about these being backported
to 3.8.

I suspect people in the Python application packaging/distribution space
will be significantly affected by this (I know I am with PyOxidizer). Is it
worth making the backport of these patches a 3.8.7 release blocker or a
trigger for a special 3.8.8 release shortly thereafter?

Gregory