On Wed, Dec 9, 2020 at 10:16 AM Gregory P. Smith <g...@krypto.org> wrote:

> As a meta question: Is there a good reason to support binaries running on
> macOS earlier than ~ $latest_version-1?
>
> Aren't systems running those old releases rather than upgrading
> unsupported by Apple, never to be patched, and thus not wise to even have
> on a network?

I don't know if Apple has a written policy on support for older versions of
macOS.

Looking at https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201222 it suggests that macOS
10.13 High Sierra got an update last month, but 10.12 has not been updated
since September 2019.

> Yes, that means some very old hardware becomes useless as Apple drops
> support. But that is what people signed up for when they bought it. Why
> should that be our problem?
>
> (It sounds like y'all will make it work, that's great! I'm really just
> wondering where the motivation comes from)

I would be supportive of saying our support policy for macOS is up to one
year after the last security update which would mean we would support 10.13
and newer which was released September 2017. (Honestly, I would be fine
with 6 months since Apple seems to make security releases frequently enough
to use that as an indicator that they have dropped support, but one year
seems more "reasonable" as a way to not accidentally cut support off
prematurely.)

-Brett