On Thu, Jan 28, 2021, at 22:57, Emily Bowman wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 28, 2021 at 1:31 PM MRAB <pyt...@mrabarnett.plus.com> wrote:
> > I have Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2019 Version 16.8.4 (it's free)
> > and it supports C11 and C17.
>
> While an upgrade for Community is free, for Pro/Enterprise without an
> annual license it's not.

Something that's hard for me to find a clear answer for in a few minutes of
searching:

Does the current version of the *Windows SDK* still come with a compiler, and
can it be used without the Visual Studio IDE [the situation is confusing
because it seems to install through the visual studio installer now] or at
least without a license for Visual Studio Pro/Enterprise [i.e. by users who do
not qualify for community edition] or with earlier versions of the Visual
Studio IDE?