On Sat, Nov 13, 2021 at 12:01 AM Stephen J. Turnbull

> What I think would make a difference is a six-like tool for making
> "easy changes" like substituting aliases and maybe marking other stuff
> that requires human brains to make the right changes.

I think a “2to3” like or “futurize” like tool is a better idea, but yes.

The real challenge with the 2-3 transition was that many of us needed to
keep the same code base running on both 2 and 3. But do we need to support
running the same code on 3.5 to 3.10? I don’t think so. If you can’t
upgrade Python to a supported version, you probably shouldn’t upgrade your
code or libraries.

Which is a thought — maybe the policy should be that we remove things when
the new way is usable in all supported versions of Python. So as of today (
if I’m correct) anything needed in 3.5 can be dropped.

I'm not volunteering to do this, I don't even know that it's actually
> feasible.

It’s clearly feasible— if the transition from 2 to 3 could be done, this is
easy :-)

Not that I’m volunteering either.

But maybe the folks that find updating deprecated features onerous might
want to do it (or already have — I haven’t looked)

 Deprecated code does normally more or less work, and often
> it never gets close to dangerous behavior.  On the flip side, it often
> can cause dangerous behavior,

I’m confused — did you mean “sometimes cause dangerous behavior”? That’s
pretty rare isn’t it?

-CHB

--
Christopher Barker, PhD (Chris)