On Mon, Nov 15, 2021 at 7:58 AM Victor Stinner <vstin...@python.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 14, 2021 at 6:34 PM Eric V. Smith <e...@trueblade.com> wrote:
> > On second thought, I guess the existing policy already does this. Maybe
> > we should make it more than 2 versions for deprecations? I've written
> > libraries where I support 4 or 5 released versions. Although maybe I
> > should just trim that back.
>
> If I understood correctly, the problem is more for how long is the new
> way available?

I think the main problem is how many user code will be broken and the
merit of the deletion.

For example, PEP 623 will remove some legacy C APIs in Python 3.12.
https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0623/

There are a few modules the PEP will break. But the PEP has
significant merit (reduce memory usage of all string objects).
So I want to remove them with the minimum deprecation period and I am
helping people to use new APIs. (*)

* e.g. https://github.com/jamesturk/cjellyfish/pull/12

So I don't want to increase the minimum required deprecation period.
But I agree that a longer deprecation period is good when keeping
deprecation stuff has nearly zero cost.

Regards,

--
Inada Naoki  <songofaca...@gmail.com>