On Sat, Nov 20, 2021 at 11:46:56PM -0800, Christopher Barker wrote:

> One example is a use case of mine -- I have built a hierarchical object
> system, built on dataclasses, in which the annotation absolutely has to be
> an actual type(class) object. PEP 563 will very much break this use case.

I don't think that's an insurmountable problem. I think that all you
need is a small class decorator to evaluate the stringified annotations
back to the real things. The PEP tells us the right way to evaluate
annotations, so all(?) you need is a decorator to do that to each method
in your class, and Bob's your uncle.

Maybe PEP 563 could include a decorator in the typing module to
destringify all the annotations in a class or function?

As far as I can see from a brief scan of the PEP, and based on knowing
next to nothing about your use-case, the only hypothetical problem might
be this line in the PEP:

"Consequently, using local state in annotations is no longer possible in
general."

but it's not entirely clear to me what Ɓukasz means by that, or whether
it will affect your use-case.

--
Steve