On Wed, 15 Dec 2021, 3:18 am Eric Snow, <ericsnowcurren...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm still hoping to land a per-interpreter GIL for 3.11.  There is
> still a decent amount of work to be done but little of it will require
> solving any big problems:
>
> * pull remaining static globals into _PyRuntimeState and PyInterpreterState
> * minor updates to PEP 554
> * finish up the last couple pieces of the PEP 554 implementation
> * maybe publish a companion PEP about per-interpreter GIL
>
> There are also a few decisions to be made.  I'll open a couple of
> other threads to get feedback on those.  Here I'd like your thoughts
> on the following:
>
>     Do we need a PEP about per-interpreter GIL?
>
> I haven't thought there would be much value in such a PEP.  There
> doesn't seem to be any decision that needs to be made.  At best the
> PEP would be an explanation of the project, where:
>
> * the objective has gotten a lot of support (and we're working on
> addressing the concerns of the few objectors)
> * most of the required work is worth doing regardless (e.g. improve
> runtime init/fini, eliminate static globals)
> * the performance impact is likely to be a net improvement
> * it is fully backward compatible and the C-API is essentially unaffected
>
> So the value of a PEP would be in consolidating an explanation of the
> project into a single document.  It seems like a poor fit for a PEP.

I think PEP 630 (Petr's summary of the improvements to extension module
reloading) is a good example of such a PEP being valuable.

Writing such a PEP also provides a place to summarise key design decisions
and known limitations (e.g. do the threading module primitives work for
cross-interpreter synchronisation? If not, what should be used instead?
multiprocessing? Something new that is still to be defined?).

Cheers,
Nick.

<http://python.org/psf/codeofconduct/>