Le 18/07/2022 à 13:45, Baptiste Carvello a écrit :
> Le 15/07/2022 à 17:52, Petr Viktorin a écrit :
>>
>> For everything on Discourse, the RSS feed is at
>> https://discuss.python.org/latest.rss
>> For a specific categoriy/topic, append .rss to the Web URL.
>
> [...]
> Is there a way to access all posts through the mail/RSS client,
> preferably with a threaded view?

TL;DR: almost there, but not there yet. A few fixes are needed in
Discourse for RSS to become a viable reading strategy.

Hi all,

reviving this old thread to try and answer my own question. For the last
month (which included a ten-day vacation), I've tried using core-dev.rss
or posts.rss (with Thunderbird). Both give a very frustrating feeling of
"almost there, but definitely not there yet":

* core-dev.rss: does its job at listing which topics get discussed. The
first post is usually enough to decide whether I'm interested or not.
Being a web browser below the surface, Thunderbird even has a "web page
mode" that permits reading the discourse thread page embedded in it
(much slower that text, but surprisingly without nag screens).

Except that threads older than a few days are scrubbed from the rss
file, even when the thread continues. So when I come back from vacation,
I not only lose past discussions (which is fair game), but also still
current ones.

Also, core-dev.rss can provide no indication when new activity happens
on a given thread, so I have to reopen them all in "web page mode"
(slowwwww) just to check.

* posts.rss: can be used efficiently together with Thunderbird's sorting
features. I first sort by "date" to find current discussions, select an
interesting post, them sort by "object" to see the full thread.

The problem is with the volume. Not only are all messages included, but
Discourse doesn't provide the "category" rss tag, which Thunderbird
could use to tag the messages.

Adding a per-category posts.rss has been a feature request to Discourse
since 2016 [1], but "hasn’t happened yet", as the Discourse developers
put it. No patch was asked for, so I presume they just see the use case
as very unimportant.

[1]: https://meta.discourse.org/t/rss-feed-for-category-latest/37192

Perhaps someone with an official status in the Python community could
approach the Discourse developers and weight in so that:

* still current threads are not so aggressively scrubbed from core-dev.rss;

and/or
* "category" tags are added to posts.rss;

and/or
* per-category posts.rss are finally implemented.

Cheers,
Baptiste