I am a long time lurker here*, a professional and educational user of
the language, a list moderator with practical exeperience managing a
engaged community of a few thousand users over the course of a decade -
and yes, I am old.

I saw what happened when the young developers there insisted that we'd
all be much happier with a threaded forum - so nice, if what you want
is to browse a web page, or to find all of the points in a (hopefully)
threaded discussion.

We were all assured that we could continue to participate in the new
forum in whatever way we wanted, and in particular that access by email
would be just as nice as ever.

That community still has a website, and I suppose people post on it,
but as I am not the equivalent of a "core dev" I have no reason to post
there, and more to the point the community has migrated away from the
comerderie that was widely experienced on the discussion lists.

The email communities died, and anyone who didn't have to "work" for
the organization went elsewhere.

So my observation is that the loudest voices for retiring an email list
(or IRC channel) will be exactly the people that don't use those
things, and seem to think no one else does either.  I can readily allow
that those of you who do the work here and sort stuff out will find
utility in a threaded forum - but if you lose the list, it won't come
back.  Perhaps "you" don't care - things change, and user preferences
shift.  I wouldn't want my preferences to constrain how the core devs
do their work.  But if you do not enjoy getting emails, perhaps you
should remember that some of us do.

Gordon

*i joined to raise an issue regarding the re library that seemed
significant to me at the time, and decided that what you all were doing
was interesting enough for me to continue to follow as it unfolded