Martin v. Löwis wrote:

> If distutils is now abandoned and replaced with
> something else, the same story will happen again: the developers will
> run away, the package gets abandoned,

Seems to me that if we had something with a clean
design that was easy to understand, maintain and
extend, that this wouldn't be so much of a problem.
If the original author ran away, others would more
easily be able to take over the task.

> We have to stop this. If distutils has flaws, fix them. Never ever
> even think about rewriting software:

Usually this is good advice, but it is possible
for something to be so badly broken that the only
reasonable way to fix it is to throw it away and
start over.

I'm not sure whether distutils is really that
badly broken. But an earlier poster seemed to be
saying that he had great difficulty finding anything
that could be changed without breaking something
that someone relied on. It's hard to fix something
if you can't change it at all.

I'd be happy to discuss ways of evolving distutils
into something better, but first we have to decide
that it is actually permissible to change it and
possibly break stuff that's relying on its internals.

--
Greg